Monday, June 7, 2010

I received a text message from a good friend this morning requesting the URL to this blog. After creating the page over a week ago, I hadn’t truly committed to posting my thoughts, feelings, and whereabouts over such an impersonal medium. A skeleton of a blog awaited deletion or a fulfilling first post as I debated whether or not I should add to the overwhelming amount information that the World Wide Web has to offer. Obviously, I decided to appease my text-savvy friend with a post, keeping in mind that deletion is always an option.

The idea to start a blog was conceived via countless conversations with my six housemates during our post-graduation road trip to Northern California. Life After College impatiently waited in Spokane, ready to unload internships, grad school, jobs in far off places, and uncertainty onto all of us the second we pulled into the driveway. A few of us decided that the easiest way for seven busy young women to stay updated and involved in each other’s lives during the tumultuous years to come would be through blogging.

So here I sit typing in Kennewick--the first to leave the Corner House and the first to post. I got home last Monday night after a final barbeque at the Corner House and a Lady Gaga farewell chant to send me off. After arriving home, I promptly went into “retreat.” I turned off my cell phone, avoided the Internet for three days, and spent some time in silence and semi-solitude. I also took on the prestigious position of puppy sitter for our 10-week-old black and tan coon hound, Ginny. In between dropping my brother off at school, taking Ginny on walks, and cleaning puppy poop off the carpet; I prayed and wrestled with task of discovering my vocation by Thursday morning.

Of course, I am no closer to pinpointing God’s calling in my life than Ginny is to learning that my computer cord is NOT a chew toy. My mom, however, gave me a nudge in the right direction by handing me a dog-eared copy of Jerry Sittser’s The Will of God as a Way of Life. On the third page, Sittser explains that in our search for vocation “we pray for guidance, we look for signs, we seek advice, we read the Bible for insight, and we search our hearts.” In a sentence he summed up my three day retreat and went on to offer an alternate approach to seeking God’s will. I’m only two chapters in, so I’ll try and finish it up this week and give a full report on Sunday.

P.S. I’ll keep the posts shorter in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment