Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Almost, Maine

Last week's post left me less than enthused about my everyday adventures in Kennewick.  I'm a single twenty something with lots of time on my hands and zero excuses to not be exploring every inch of the youth I have left. So, when I pulled out the "Around Town" section of the local paper on Friday and saw that there were auditions for a play at a local theater, I dared myself to try out.

Honestly, I've always loved acting.  If I could be anything--regardless of talent, fortune, and bone structure--I'd be Scarlett Johansson. So I was really excited to try out for Almost, Maine at the Richland Players Theater. I showed up for audtions on Monday night without having read the script or having any idea about what I might have to pull off on stage--was I going to have to disrobe to my skivvies? speak with a Boston accent? play a mime? I had no clue, but they shoved a little blue tablet in my hand, put me on stage with a guy I'd never met, and told me to start reading on page 35.

Auditions lasted for two hours and I had such a blast.  The play is composed of short vignettes starring a couple working through the tougher issues that arise when love goes sour.  Each scene evoked memories of past boyfriends and the guy on stage with me morphed into Mitch, Elijah, or Oscar accordingly. At the end of the audition I was so jazzed it was hard to get to sleep. I couldn't care less if I got a part because the try out itself was so much fun.

Be that as it may, I did get a "We're happy to offer you a part..." call the next day. My excitement waned ever so slightly as the voice on the phone explained Monday through Thursday night rehearsals starting this and mandatory "tech week."  I checked my calendar, accepted the offer, and braced myself for the busy months that are headed my way.

Play dates: January 14, 15, 21, 22, 23, 28, 29

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! THAT IS AWESOME!! You are sooo spontaneous. I want to come see your play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LINDSAY!!! I am SOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!!!!! This sounds like such a YOU thing. Can't wait to hear the details...you are going to be a SUPERSTAR :))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thing that is completely amazing. you never cease to amaze me Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome Linz!! I wish I could see it!! I love that you are finding cool things to do..I would never have the guts to try out for a play. You're going to be so great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Lindsay...so proud of YOU! What is your part like?

    ReplyDelete