Monday, March 28, 2011

HFHI Conference

I returned to the Pasco airport at 11:05 on Friday night.  I was exhausted from three days of information overload, late nights talking with my boss and coworkers, and the three hour time difference.  I had to pull myself our of bed 7 hours later to visit the various groups volunteering with us on Saturday and spend the afternoon at the United Methodist Women luncheon as the guest speaker.

After my spiel at the luncheon, the hostess took the microphone, said thank you and added "The passion in your voice makes it so plain to see that you are in the right job."  We can thank the conference for that.

About a week ago I was telling my mom that passion was precisely what I was not finding at Habitat.  I was going through the motions and daily having to remind myself that my work was important.  After spending the week with 2000 other Habitat employees and hearing testimonies of the change that we are making in so many people's lives, I felt empowered and truly excited to get back to my day job.

What really grabbed me by the hair and got my attention was the everpresent reminders of the faith-based mission on which Habitat for Humanity is based.  Every speaker gave glory to God and every day started with prayer to remind us of what had brought us to Habitat in the first place.  Habitat is now the largest private homebuilder in the U.S. but when you try to give kudos to the C.E.O., he'll be the first to send that credit straight toward Heaven. I am completely humbled and so grateful to have found purpose in my work. I know that I'll have my lows again someday but for the time-being I'm rejoicing in the high!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear details about the conference! I'm so glad it was meaningful and helped you find passion in your work! What a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay that is so wonderful. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete