Monday, March 14, 2011

Lent--Everyone's favorite season

Well maybe not everybody gets all hot and bothered about sacrifice and self improvement but I absolutely love the challenge. As Ash Wednesday approached last week I was brainstorming things that I could give up, devising ways to get closer to God, and asking my family what they were doing to celebrate the season.  Then I realized that I was probably approaching Lent with the wrong attitude.  When your plans to get spiritually in tune via Reese's abstinence coincide with daydreams of looking awesome in a bikini, you have to question your motives.

So I decided to scrap my anti-chocolate sentiment in exchange for morning quiet time. I've been sick since Thursday so that time has grown exponentially over the past week.  A killer sore throat kept me away from work for two and a half days so I've been reading my Isabel Allende book, watching Modern Family, and hanging out with the family.

I went to Crossview (the church started by a Whitworth grad) again on Saturday.  I still don't feel a real desire to set roots there.  Does that mean that I need to put more effort in and get involved or do I keep looking for something that clicks right away? All I know is that I need to find a group of people that share the same values as me.  Otherwise I'll end up spending too much time with the promiscous engineeers at the sports bar without any other social anchor...a recipe for bad news.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you are sick :(((( I hope you feel better soon! Enjoy your time to relax though! I also think morning quiet time is a great idea! can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are doing morning quiet time! What a great way to start your day. I remember those days when I would wake up to you and your Jesus devotional in the kitchen cornerhouse. You are a mornin flower! I can't do morning time! It's soooo not a productive time for me haha.

    I know all about the receipe for bad news except mine wasn't a engineer. It was a promiscous 27 year old one-hit wonder musician that is my barista!

    I think finding a church, life group is a lot like dating. You usually don't marry the first one you date. I haven't found which church I want to get plugged in on yet either. I'm searching it out too! We'll see what God does. And keep those permiscous fellas away from us in Jesus name :)

    ReplyDelete